This slice and bake shortbread with a crisp, sandy texture brings the bakeshop right into your kitchen.
- 1/2 cup (3 1/2 ounces) granulated sugar
- 12 tablespoons (6 ounces) unsalted butter, very soft
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups (7 1/2 ounces) all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup (1 ounce) cornstarch
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
Stir sugar, butter, salt, and vanilla in a large bowl until smooth and creamy. Add flour and cornstarch, then stir until the mixture comes together into a dough. Place dough onto a large sheet of parchment paper and form into a log about 2 1/2-inches diameter and 8-inches long. Wrap and twist ends to secure, then chill until almost firm, about 30 minutes.
Adjust oven rack to middle position and preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
Place chocolate chips in shallow bowl. Slice dough into 1/4-inch thick rounds, press into chips, and place on pan spacing about 2 inches apart.
Bake until set and light golden around the edges, 15 to 20 minutes. Let cookies cool on pans 5 minutes, then transfer to wire rack to cool completely.