This bagel-and-lox-inspired open-faced sandwich combines avocado and smoked salmon, cut through with tomatoes, capers, and thinly sliced rounds of red onion. Goat cheese takes the place of cream cheese for extra tang, while a squeeze of lemon juice and a little fresh black pepper bring everything into balance.
- 1 slice country or sourdough bread, approximately 1/2 inch thick
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon (15g) goat cheese, or enough to spread a thin layer over surface of bread
- 1/2 medium pitted and peeled Hass avocado
- 1 teaspoon capers, plus more to taste
- 2 slices tomato from 1 medium tomato
- 3 thin slices red onion, cut in rounds from 1 medium onion
- 3 pieces thinly sliced smoked salmon
- Freshly squeezed lemon juice to taste, from 1/2 lemon
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
Lightly brush bread with olive oil and toast to desired level of doneness. Spread goat cheese over surface. Top with avocado and mash with a fork to cover entire surface. Sprinkle capers evenly across surface and top with tomato, red onion, and smoked salmon. Add lemon juice and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Serve.