This open-faced sandwich pairs avocado with Italian flavors like creamy ricotta, extra-virgin olive oil, bright lemon zest, and fragrant basil. A squeeze of lemon juice cuts through the avocado and keeps the whole thing tasting light and summery, no cooking required.
- 1 slice country or sourdough bread, approximately 1/2 inch thick
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 medium pitted and peeled Hass avocado
- Freshly squeezed lemon juice to taste, from 1/2 lemon
- 4 to 5 tablespoons high-quality ricotta (see note)
- Thinly sliced basil leaves, for garnish
- Lemon zest, for garnish
- Flaky sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
Lightly brush bread with extra-virgin olive oil and toast to desired level of doneness. Top with avocado and mash with a fork to cover entire surface. Squeeze lemon juice over bread and add ricotta in dollops across the surface. Drizzle with more extra-virgin olive oil and sprinkle with basil, lemon zest, sea salt, and pepper. Serve.
The volume of each ingredient will depend on the size of your bread and personal preference. Apply to taste. Look for a ricotta whose only listed ingredients are whole milk, an acid coagulant, and salt (you can find our reasoning and favorite brands here), or make it yourself instead.