Springtime flavors come together in this open-faced sandwich of rich and creamy avocado, peppery radishes, and sweet baby peas. A squeeze of lemon adds acidity, and freshly chopped basil gives it a fragrant, herbal touch.
- 1 slice country or sandwich bread, approximately 1/2 inch thick
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 medium pitted and peeled Hass avocado
- Small handful baby peas (see note), or enough to lightly cover surface of bread
- 6 thin slices radish from 1 to 2 radishes, or enough to cover surface of bread
- Freshly squeezed lemon juice to taste, from 1/2 lemon
- Finely chopped basil leaves, for garnish
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
Lightly brush bread with olive oil and toast to desired level of doneness. Top with avocado and mash with a fork to cover entire surface. Add peas, pressing gently to anchor them in avocado. Top with radish slices. Squeeze lemon juice over surface and sprinkle with basil, salt, and pepper. Serve.
The volume of each ingredient will depend on the size of your bread and personal preference. Apply to taste. If you cannot find fresh peas, frozen baby peas are a great substitute. Bring to room temperature under cool running water.