Avocados, tart-sweet citrus segments, and thinly sliced fennel come together on this light and refreshing open-faced sandwich. Oranges are featured in this recipe, but grapefruit, tangerines, clementines, or pomelos would be excellent alternatives. Mint adds a light, herbal finish, but arugula and feta cheese would make a punchier, bolder substitute if you're so inclined.
- 1 slice country or sandwich bread, approximately 1/2 inch thick
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 medium pitted and peeled Hass avocado
- 4 to 5 thin slices fennel from 1 peeled and cored bulb, or enough to cover bread in one layer
- 5 to 6 segments of orange, cut into suprèmes, from 1 medium orange
- Finely chopped mint leaves, for garnish
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
Lightly brush bread with olive oil and toast to desired level of doneness. Top with avocado and mash with a fork to cover entire surface. Add single layer of fennel slices, top with citrus segments, and sprinkle with mint, salt, and pepper. Serve.
The volume of each ingredient will depend on the size of your bread and personal preference. Apply to taste.