This Mexican-inspired take on avocado toast gets its acidity from fresh lime juice and a dash of creamy heat from homemade chipotle mayo. It's all topped off with a layer of salty, crumbly Cotija cheese and a generous dose of grassy cilantro.
- 1 slice country or sandwich bread, approximately 1/2 inch thick
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 medium pitted and peeled Hass avocado
- 1 tablespoon (15ml) chipotle mayonnaise, plus more to taste (see note)
- Lime juice to taste, from 1/2 lime
- 1 tablespoon (15g) Cotija cheese, plus more to taste
- Finely chopped fresh cilantro, for garnish
Lightly brush bread with extra-virgin olive oil and toast to desired level of doneness. Top with avocado and mash with a fork to cover entire surface. Add chipotle mayonnaise (see note). Squeeze on lime juice and sprinkle with Cotija cheese and cilantro. Serve.
The volume of each ingredient will depend on the size of your bread and personal preference. Apply to taste. You can use a squeeze bottle to drizzle the chipotle mayonnaise onto the toast, or mix it straight into the avocado for an equally flavorful result, though slightly less attractive presentation.