Avocados, tart-sweet citrus segments, and thinly sliced fennel come together on this light and refreshing open-faced sandwich. Oranges are featured in this recipe, but grapefruit, tangerines, clementines, or pomelos would be excellent alternatives. Mint adds a light, herbal finish, but arugula and feta cheese would make a punchier, bolder substitute if you're so inclined.
- Yield:Serves 1
- Active time:5 minutes
- Total time:5 minutes
- 1 slice country or sandwich bread, approximately 1/2 inch thick
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 medium pitted and peeled Hass avocado
- 4 to 5 thin slices fennel from 1 peeled and cored bulb, or enough to cover bread in one layer
- 5 to 6 segments of orange, cut into suprèmes, from 1 medium orange
- Finely chopped mint leaves, for garnish
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
Lightly brush bread with olive oil and toast to desired level of doneness. Top with avocado and mash with a fork to cover entire surface. Add single layer of fennel slices, top with citrus segments, and sprinkle with mint, salt, and pepper. Serve.