Chasing a shot of tequila with lime is routine. But with good tequila, the best way to enjoy it is not as a shot, but sipped with sangrita—a bright, tart, spicy fruit drink—on the side. While the original was made without tomato, this version references the tomato-spiked sangritas most common today by combining Clamato with savory ingredients like onion, cilantro, coriander seed, jalapeño, and Worcestershire sauce. It's like a Bloody Maria with the tequila on the side.
- Yield:Makes enough for 4 shots sangrita
- Active time:5 minutes
- Total time:5 minutes plus chilling
- 2 (5.5-ounce; 160ml) cans Clamato (clam-flavored tomato juice)
- 10 cilantro leaves
- 3 ounces (90ml) fresh juice from 3 lemons
- 2 tablespoons (30ml) diced white onion
- 1 tablespoon (15ml) diced jalapeño pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander seed
- 1 teaspoon (5ml) Worcestershire sauce
- Kosher salt
In a blender, combine Clamato, cilantro, lemon juice, onion, jalapeño, coriander seed, and Worcestershire sauce. Blend at high speed until solids are thoroughly blended into liquid. Season lightly with salt. Chill in the refrigerator or by stirring with ice briefly and then straining. Serve in a shot glass alongside a good-quality silver tequila.