This rhubarb and vanilla-laced cocktail gets an unexpected twist from pisco and rich Scottish ale.
Why It Works
- Rhubarb's tart flavor balances the cocktail in the place of citrus.
- Mexican vanilla is adds a spicy, woodsy side to the drink
- Pisco's viscosity and Scottish ale's richness provide an extra creamy texture.
- Yield:Makes 1 cocktail, plus enough syrup for 12-13 cocktails
- Active time:10 minutes
- Total time:1 hour
- For the Rhubarb-Vanilla Syrup:
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup sliced (1/2-inch) rhubarb
- 1 cup water
- 1 Mexican vanilla bean, cut lengthwise and seeds scraped (reserve pod)
- For the Cocktail:
- 1 1/2 ounces Pisco
- 3/4 ounce Rhubarb-Vanilla Syrup
- 3 ounces Scottish ale, such as Ballast Point Piper Down
- Vanilla bean, for garnish
For the Rhubarb-Vanilla Syrup: Combine sugar, rhubarb, water, and vanilla seeds and pod in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil and then lower to a simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand for 30 minutes. Strain into an airtight container and refrigerate until ready to use, up to 2 weeks.
For the Cocktail: In a rocks glass filled with ice, build the drink by adding pisco and rhubarb vanilla syrup. Gently add beer, stirring just to combine. Garnish with vanilla bean and serve immediately.