Smoky mezcal replaces vodka in this jalapeño-spiked take on the classic Bloody Mary. Served with a crisp bacon swizzle stick, it's the kind of savory, spicy cocktail that's equally at home on the brunch or dinner table.
Why It Works
- Smoky mezcal and crisp bacon emphasize the drink's savory qualities. Roasted pureed jalapeno adds a complex, fruity heat.
- Yield:Makes 6 cocktails
- Active time:10 minutes
- Total time:30 minutes
- For the Roasted Jalapeño Purée:
- 2 large jalapeños
- For the Cocktail:
- 6 bacon swizzle sticks
- 1/4 cup kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 3 cups tomato juice or V8
- 1 1/2 cups mezcal
- 3/4 cup fresh juice from about 6 limes
- 1/4 cup Roasted Jalapeño Purée
Make the jalapeño purée: Place jalapeños in an oven-safe dish lined with tin-foil and broil, turning at five minute intervals, until all sides are blackened and charred, 10-15 minutes. Let cool and then add to a blender. Blend until smooth.
Prepare the glasses: On a small plate, combine salt and chili powder. Run a lime wedge around the rim of 6 tall beer or Collins glasses and coat edge with salt-chili mixture. Add bacon swizzle stick to each glass. Fill glasses with ice.
Make the cocktail: In a large pitcher, combine tomato juice, mezcal, lime juice, and jalapeño purée. Stir to combine and pour into individual glasses.