This recipe appears in:3 (More) Great Vegan Ice Creams With 1 Easy Master Recipe
Dark rum, coconut, and lime are a natural pairing, and the three come together beautifully in this tropical ice cream that's 100% vegan.
Why this recipe works:
- A mix of coconut milk and extra-rich coconut cream provide the smooth texture for a creamy vegan ice cream.
- Corn syrup adds additional plush body to the base.
- Simmering and puréeing the ice cream base emulsifies coconut fats that could otherwise separate and turn grainy while churning.
Notes: You can find coconut cream in Chinese and Southeast Asian groceries or online. Don't use cream of coconut or creamed coconut instead—they're different products and can't be substituted. If your diet permits white sugar refined with bone char, feel free to substitute an equal volume of it for the raw sugar in this recipe for a cleaner flavor. Because of the extra alcohol, this ice cream takes a long time to firm up after churning, and melts more quickly than most.
Read more on the technique behind vegan ice cream.
- 1 13.5-ounce can (about 1 3/4 cup) coconut milk
- 1 14-ounce can (about 1 3/4 cup) coconut cream (see note)
- 1/4 cup "light" (clear) corn syrup
- 3/4 cup raw (turbinado) sugar (see note)
- 2 teaspoons grated lime zest from 2 limes
- 2 tablespoons dark 80-proof rum
- 3/4 to 1 teaspoon kosher salt, to taste
In a medium saucepan combine coconut milk, coconut cream, corn syrup, sugar, and lime zest and cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until mixture comes to a simmer. Transfer mixture to blender, cover very tightly, and blend for 30 seconds. (Alternately use immersion blender directly in pot.) Pour through a fine-mesh strainer into an airtight container, then add rum and salt to taste.
Cover mixture and chill in refrigerator until it is very cold (at least 45°F, about 4 hours), then churn in ice cream maker according to manufacturer's instructions. Transfer to an airtight container and chill overnight in freezer until ice cream is firm enough to scoop.