With all this chilly weather, the growing season for most of our fresh, local produce has wound down. Luckily, at the very tail end of seasonal veggies come hearty bitter greens. But what to make of them? It can seem like their earthy, astringent flavor and tough texture would be hard to finagle into a salad and stubborn in most cooked dishes.
Not so! These cold-weather leaves transform into the tender, flavorful staples of tons of great recipes—the sort of robust, rib-sticking fare you start to crave with these first winter chills. Predictably, we've got a lot of broccoli rabe, kale, and swiss chard preparations for you, but they're interspersed with more exotic* fare, such as red shen choy, Belgian endives, and trevisano radicchio.
*as exotic as leafy greens can be, which, frankly, is not very.
Click through the slideshow for plenty of wholesome pastas, soups, salads, and more, or skip directly to your favorites below.
- Kale Caesar Salad
- Winter Green Salad with Walnuts, Apples, and Parmesan-Anchovy Dressing
- Bulgur Salad with Apricots, Radicchio, Herbs, and Walnuts
- Shredded Kale Salad with Pine Nuts, Currants, and Parmesan
- Roasted Chickpea and Kale Salad with Sundried Tomato Vinaigrette and Herbs
- Roasted Pear Salad with Endives, Pomegranate, and Stilton with Hazelnut Dressing
- Kale, Apple, and Pancetta Salad with Maple Syrup Dressing
- Bitter Greens Salad with Sesame Dressing
- Marinated Kale and Chickpea Salad with Sumac Onions
Soups and Sides
- Hearty Escarole, Barley, and Parmesan Soup
- Escarole and Parmesan Soup with Chicken Meatballs
- Italian Kale and Farro Soup
- Taiwanese Beef Noodle Soup
- Easy Sausage, Kale, and Black Eyed Pea Soup with Lemon and Rosemary
- Hearty Winter Vegetable Soup
- Roasted Butternut Squash, Kale, and Lemon Soup
- Grilled Trevisano Radicchio with Gorgonzola, Olive Oil, and Saba
- Sicilian-Style Broccoli Rabe with Eggplant and Capers
- Spinach and Red Shen Choy in Garlicky Broth
Tarts, Pizzas, and a Gratin
- Easy Kale Quiche
- Endive, Shallot, and Goats Cheese Tart
- Sausage and Radicchio Pizza
- Charred Kale Pizza with Garlic
- Swiss Chard, Fennel, and White Bean Gratin
Pastas and Other Mains
- Kale and Pumpkin Pasta
- Bok Choy and Kale Fried Rice with Fried Garlic
- Skillet Pasta with Pancetta, Shiitake, and Wilted Greens
- Orecchiette With Broccoli Rabe, Spicy Italian Sausage, and Pesto
- Vegetarian Citrus Pasta with Swiss Chard and Sumac
- Stir Fried Beef with Kale and Frisée in Black Bean Sauce
- Mussels with Chard and Pancetta
This post may contain links to Amazon or other partners; your purchases via these links can benefit Serious Eats. Read more about our affiliate linking policy.