Few things say summer like a juicy, fragrant tomato. But other than topping sandwiches with them or chopping them into a variety of salads, I was often at a loss for inspired ways to use them during the hot months—until I learned about tomato water.
It doesn't sound particularly exciting. Or flavorful. But the scent alone is enough to make you say mmmm. One taste of the pure tomato essence, and you'll be dreaming up ways to use it all season.
If I may do some of that thinking for you, here are a few applications:
- As a base for Bloody Marys
- As an added flavoring for beer or vodka
- As a base for gazpacho or cocktail sauce
- As a poaching liquid for shrimp, calamari or lobster
- As a dressing for fresh oysters
- As a marinade for white fish
- As a vinaigrette mix-in
- As a rice seasoner
- Chilled and over ice, with basil