Using basil, bananas, bacon, and more.
Before I suggest you get all crazy with your guacamole, I need to throw it out there that more often than not, I'm a guacamole purist. A good avocado doesn't need much adornment sometimes. Mashing the avocado with salt, jalapeno slices, scallion slivers and a squeeze of citrus juice will suffice. That is, most of the time.
But sometimes, a special occasion like Cinco de Mayo makes me want to get a little adventurous with my guacamole-making. Here are other mix-ins to consider to jazz up guacamole. What do you use?
- Tomatillo chunks or purée
- Grapefruit segments
- Dried or roasted chiles
- Bananas (I've tried this; unusual but good)
- Roasted cherry tomatoes
- Corn, chipotle and radish slices
- Black beans or black-eyed peas
- Lime, cumin and jicama
- Diced red onion, crisp bacon and cayenne pepper
Dip That Chip!
- Classic Guacamole Recipe»
- How to Make Guacamole, With Chef Ivy Stark of Dos Caminos »
- Healthy & Delicious: Tomatillo Guacamole »
- Super Bowl Snacks: Guacamole and Bacon Dip »
- Guacamole, from 'Techniques of Healthy Cooking' »
- Serious Sandwiches: Is There a Better Condiment than Guacamole? »
All products linked here have been independently selected by our editors. We may earn a commission on purchases, as described in our affiliate policy.