When the fresh fruit aisle seems to be struggling in February, lemons offer a welcome pop of color and flavor until the warmth of spring swoops in. They're one of the most versatile fruits available, with infinite uses in both sweet and savory recipes and beyond. Originating in Asia, lemons served as a staple in medicine and holistic healing, as they contain antiseptic and antibacterial properties.
Lemon recipes, tips, and ideas after the jump.
A very low pH level makes the lemon useful as a household cleaning aid. I like to make use of juiced lemons by rubbing them in my sink and then running them through the disposal to remove any unwanted odors. Lemons are also great for removing stains and stubborn smells from wood countertops, cutting boards, and wooden utensils.
A splash of lemon can brighten a sauce, veggie, protein, or dessert, adding a piquant bite. We've compiled our favorite lemon recipes to help you take advantage of lemon season.
- Sautéed Chicken with Olives, Capers, and Roasted Lemons
- Braised Lamb Shanks with Lemon Confit and Sweet Pearl Onions
- Salmon with Citrus Dressing
- Preserved Lemon Citrus Chicken with Chervil Gremolata
- Coquilles St. Jacques Pot Pies with Roasted Lemon
- Fried Oysters and Lemon and Balsamic Vinegar
- Mama Agata's Lemon Risotto
- Creamy Lemon and Raspberry Tart
- Tisane Shortbread Cookies with Lemon Verbena
- Bottega's Limoncello
- Fresh Lemon Mousse
- Lemon Olive Oil Cake
- Zesty Lemon Bars
- Lemon-Lemon Lemon Cream
What are your favorite ways to use lemons?
All products linked here have been independently selected by our editors. We may earn a commission on purchases, as described in our affiliate policy.