While eating dinner with my friends Colin and Tristan last weekend, Colin had stuck an entire soup dumpling in his mouth, straight from the steamer, not knowing that the dumpling was full of scalding hot liquid. Tristan and I watched his face, frozen in horror, turn flush as the dumpling's contents wreaked havoc upon his mouth. Oops. After a few moments of us staring at him helplessly, Colin managed to consume the dumpling and enjoy the rest of the meal. We all had a good laugh. Phew.
I have one distinct memory of when I chowed down on something hot—in the spicy sense, not temperature—and freaked out as my tongue went numb, along with the rest of my mouth. It was more tear-inducing than laugh-inducing. But I guess it made the meal more memorable.
What's the worst burn you've ever endured while eating?
All products linked here have been independently selected by our editors. We may earn a commission on purchases, as described in our affiliate policy.