According to our handy site-metering utility, the top 10 most delicious items across the Serious Eats family of sites this week were ...
1. The Food Lab: Perfect Boiled Eggs "...For the very first installment of The Food Lab, I thought I'd tackle one of the simplest, yet most vexing everyday challenges of the home kitchen: perfectly boiling an egg."...
2. Cakespy: Homemade Candy Corn "...This surprisingly simple recipe yields large, plump candy kernels infused with a sweet vanilla flavor. I found that using salted butter adds a nice, rich finish. Conclusion? These homespun tricolor treats are definitely worth the time and effort. Once you've tasted them, you may never buy candy corn by the bag again...."
3. The Burger Lab: The Fake Shack "...Yes, I'm talking about the Shack Burger from Shake Shack, of which more than enough has been written about already. I'm not here to wax poetic about what Josh Ozersky has dubbed "the platonic ideal of a hamburger"--rather, I'm here to talk about a way to skip the line that doesn't involve standing outside at 9 p.m. on a rainy Tuesday night: Just make the Shack Burger at home. Easier said than done...."
4. Talk: What's Your Favorite Food When Drunk? "For me, I like pancakes and french fries, or french fries and vanilla ice cream, or vegetable fried rice, or ramen!"
5. Cook the Book: Paula Deen's Pumpkin Gooey Butter Cakes "Gooey butter cakes are to the Deen family what shrimp is to Bubba Gump. All you need is a boxed cake mix (any flavor) and fruit or other toppings for the gooeyness--from there, just go to town...."
6. Talk: If You Smelled Like Any Food... "This was brought up the other day at the office, and it really seemed to make everyone stop and think. what if, from whatever quirk happened, you smelled naturally like a food. Not the "I am working out at the gym and sweating out that Indian curry that I had for lunch" smell, but just a natural, good smell. What food would you choose to smell like? I can't seem to decide. I like the idea of smelling like fresh bread or pancakes and maple syrup, but maybe something more exotic, like lychee or mango."
7. Talk: What's Your Favorite Cake? "This isn't one of those silly polls. A friend who does catering but doesn't bake has asked me to do some cake baking for her. We're not talking wedding or birthday cakes with fondant and intricate piping. These would be home style cakes; but what flavors to put on her menu? Have you got a favorite? Maybe a particular cake and frosting combo that would catch your eye. Help me come up with a few wonderful ideas. For example what would you think of a banana spice cake with peanut butter frosting?"
8. Jacques Torres' 5 Must-Have Pastry Tools "...It's true that you could make do without them, but then you'd just be 'an amateur,' Torres said...."
9. Recipe: Beer Bread Pecan Rolls "...You can make these fancy-looking pecan rolls in under an hour--though you may get a bit of flour on your pajamas...."
10. That's Nuts: Is Kung Pao Chicken Authentic? "...So, eaters, what's your favorite use of nuts in Chinese cuisine?..."
This post may contain links to Amazon or other partners; your purchases via these links can benefit Serious Eats. Read more about our affiliate linking policy.