The thing about basil is that once it gets going, you suddenly have way more than you know what to do with. Sure, there's insalata caprese or pasta caprese or anything caprese, but I have to admit I get a little bored. That classic combination is great--just not every day of summer. I've rounded up some recipes featuring basil used in alternative ways, whether it be as an infusion, in a fresh pasta dough, or simply featured in a chilled martini to sip on the porch. Given half a chance, basil can truly shine when it's not with its BFFs tomato and mozzarella.
- Watermelon-Basil Martinis and Mint Juleps
- Genovese Minestrone
- Pear, Basil, and Pecorino Toscano Salad
- Flat Pasta with Rock Shrimp and Zucchini
- Basil-Infused Tuna with Soy Vinaigrette
- Preserved Lemon Semifreddo with Basil Syrup
- Pesto Tips and Recipes
What's your best basil recipe?
All products linked here have been independently selected by our editors. We may earn a commission on purchases, as described in our affiliate policy.