According to our handy site-metering utility, the top 10 most delicious items across the Serious Eats family of sites this week were ...
1. The English Muffin Experiment: Homemade vs. Store-Bought This dispatch comes to us from serious eater Melinda McCamant, who lives in Portland, Oregon. She pointed out to us that English muffins are neither English nor muffins and then goes on to see which is better, purchased or homemade muffins.
2. Healthy & Delicious: Lemon Basil Pasta Salad "Lovely on its own or as a base for more elaborate pasta dishes, it’s a light, inexpensive alternative to your standard starch-based picnic sides."
3. Eaters and Eating Disorders "I used to think maybe an 'ignorance is bliss' attitude would be the solution to stop counting calories and obsessing, but I've found that the more I know about how our bodies process food and what nutrition really means, the better relationship I have with food in general."
4. Served: New York Is Not the Only Place for a Restaurant "'It’s hard work,' she went on, 'but don’t let anyone tell you that you can’t do it or shouldn’t do it. We don’t have off for holidays or weddings, but everyone ends up here anyway. It’s so rewarding.'"
5. Serious Cocktails: Best Bars in America "A great bar is a composite creation; it’s not all about the drinks. For all the consideration that’s given to the quality of the cocktails, wine, and other drinks poured in an establishment, a bar should be judged along many other factors."
6. Ed Levine's Serious Diet, Week 66: Am I Too Skinny? Can Pigs Fly? "I would have bet any and all comers that pigs would start flying before anyone called me out in the blogosphere for being too thin. But that's just what happened this week. Let me set the scene for you, my merry band of serious eaters."
7. Grilling: Spinach and Cheese Stuffed Portobellos "I decided to try a grilled stuffed portobello for dinner this week, making the mushrooms an entire meal. Spinach was mixed with Boursin cheese to create a filling worthy to be a dip on its own. The mushrooms where then stuffed and grilled over indirect heat for twenty minutes and eaten right away."
8. French in a Flash: Pain au Chocolat Cinnamon Rolls with Crème Fraîche Icing and Walnuts "Life is not black or white, or up or down, or French or American."
9. In Videos: NPR Interview with Cookie Monster When NPR senior producer Elizabeth Blair interviewed Cookie Monster last year, she asked the blue furball some pretty tough questions. What's you're favorite word? Coooo-kieeees. What's your least favorite word? Out of cooooo-kieees. Favorite sound? Om nom nom nomm.
10. Making Butter at Home "Butter is one of those things, like yogurt or peanut butter, that most of us would never think of making at home—until you try it and see how mindblowingly easy it is."