According to our handy site-metering utility, the top 10 most delicious items across the Serious Eats family of sites this week were ...
1. Serious Cocktails: Applied Math "Mixing a good drink takes craft and attention, but it also requires a basic understanding of ratios and proportions.... For example, sour-style, liqueur-sweetened cocktails such as margaritas and sidecars usually fall into a 2:1:1 or 3:2:1 ratio of spirits:liqueur:citrus, depending on how sweet or tart you prefer the result."
2. Employee Resigns via Letter Written in Frosting on Cake "Dear Mr. Bowers, During the past three years, my tenure at the Hunters Point Naval Shipyard has been nothing short of pure excitement, joy and whim.... Please accept this cake as notification that I am leaving my position with NWT on March 27."
3. Spousal Cooking: Am I a Bad Person? "Is it wrong to not want to eat your spouse's cooking? I will go out of my way to make a dinner that can be frozen/reheated ahead of time for the one day I am not available to cook dinner. She used to cook but lately (5 years) not so much. I can't be the only one!" [from Talk]
4. Served: On Dishing "The restaurant biz has a disproportionately vast amount of dirt. Gossip flows like booze."
5. Dinner Tonight: Chilaquiles Rojos "Chilaquiles are similar to nachos except lighter, spicier, and altogether superior. Instead of each chip competing for coverage, with gloppy toppings like yellow cheese and hamburger meat, these chips are bathed in an incredible sauce so each bite has all the right flavors." [from Recipes]
6. $29.95 for America's Test Kitchen website? "Has anyone else been subscribing to the America's Test Kitchen website? I enjoyed being able to search for recipes that I vaguely remembered, and at $19.95 the site seemed pricey but good. But my latest subscription notice showed an annual price of $29.95! No break for Cook's Illustrated subscribers, of course, so $29.95 on top of the magazine subscription ($49.95 for two years) seems nuts to me. What do you think?" [from Talk]
7. Secrets of Minetta Tavern's Black Label Burger "Clarified butter is drizzled on top of the patty and copious amounts of salt and pepper are added throughout the cooking process. This is one pampered burger." [from A Hamburger Today]
8. Let's Pizza: Vending Machine Mixes Dough, Bakes Freshly Made Pizza "We're used to getting coffee, soda, candy, and chips from a vending machine. Now, if Claudio Torghele has his way, Italians and eventually Americans will be able to get a made-while-you-watch, freshly baked pizza from a vending machine." [from Slice]
9. Bay Area Eats: Silky, Steamed Milk Pudding at San Francisco's Golden Island Cafe "Hashima are snow frog glands and nowhere near as nasty as they sound."
10. Reducing Food Costs: Cooking with a Friend "I tossed out an idea to my friend last week and she bit: How about if we pool our resources, cooking together one day a week, taking home our individually packaged food to eat throughout the week?"