According to our handy site-metering utility, the top 10 most delicious items across the Serious Eats family of sites this week were ...
1. How to Make a Choco Taco Choco Tacos can be hard to track down. The preeminent dessert taco makes cameos at select ice cream trucks and gas stations, but other times, you think, "Did I dream that?" Since nobody should have to suppress a Choco Taco craving, or embark on a roadtrip to the magical Taco Bells that still stock them, follow these steps to make them at home. [from Recipes]
2. Food Puns for the Academy Awards The Curious Case of Benjamin Mutton, Grand Panino, GuacaWall-E, Kate Wing-lets ...
3. Pantry 'Ghosts': Do You Have Them? "Every time I open one of my cupboards, I see two small jars of maraschino cherries, looking at me with sadness and despair. I didn't buy them, I got them as a part of a 'cocktail gift basket' I received a year or two ago.... I cannot bring myself to just throw them away, so there they are.... Do you have any pantry ghosts that just stay there, unused? What are they? Did you buy them hoping to 'get to like them' one day or was it a gift?" [from Talk]
4. 'Top Chef' Season 5, Finale: All Bets Are Off Finally the finale. We've soldiered through the last 12 episodes, hoping for a glimpse of genius, passion, or inspiration to hook us. The closest we've gotten is Carla's lovin', soulful take on things, but even that was slow to emerge. Can't say that we're all that surprised by the outcome of the finale, but it was the first (and last) episode this season that really got us to pay attention.
5. Sunday Brunch: The Greatest Waffle Recipe Ever "Robyn Lee was the first person to tell me about this waffle recipe, and I don't think it was a coincidence that she told me about it when we were both eating dinner with her friend Greg. Greg emailed Robyn this recipe a while ago, and he found it on this blog, which found it in the Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook. And then Robyn blogged about it. Got that? No matter. This recipe produces light, crisp, slightly moist, seriously delicious waffles. 'Nuff said." [from Recipes]
6. Served: Restaurant Job Search "In May, I will finish school. Hooray! But wait! What’s next? My job waiting tables rocks. It is also part time. I just found a great apartment in a great neighborhood. Now I need a job with which to pay my rent. A full-time job."
7. Ed Levine's Serious Diet, Week 55: A South Beach Burger Bash Meal Plan "I had gone on my own South Beach Diet, for one evening at least, and came out smelling like a rose, or at the very least like a cheeseburger."
8. Serious Grape: Preserving Your Wine History "To get started you don't need anything more glamorous or expensive than an unused diary. Some steam, some elbow grease, and some glue and you're set. Then, sometime during the next quarter of a century, you can hand it down to the next generation. If they're anything like me, they'll be thrilled to receive it."
9. Seriously Italian: Pasta alla Gricia "Carbonara, Cacio e Pepe, Amatriciana and Gricia: If you spend any extended time in Rome, these four pasta dishes are sure to become familiar and beloved friends. Together they form the backbone of primi choices at every trattoria in the Eternal City, where the locals have strong, vocal opinions on where to find the best execution of each, never all at one place." [from Recipes]
10. Ziploc Bag Ice Cream "No watery ice milk kid's project here! Instead try this rich, custardy excellent gelato-like cream dessert." With recipe and how-to! [from Talk]
This post may contain links to Amazon or other partners; your purchases via these links can benefit Serious Eats. Read more about our affiliate linking policy.