According to our handy site-metering utility, the top 10 most delicious items on Serious Eats this week were ...
1. Banh Chung for Lunar New Year "This year, our friend Yen Ha of the blog Lunch invited us over to help her mom roll a Tet batch of twenty. Under the gentle tutelage of the more experienced, we've adapted the banh chung recipe from Andrea Nguyen's Into the Vietnamese Kitchen to incorporate Yen's mother's approach." [from Recipes]
2. Build a Snack Food Stadium For Your Super Bowl Party "Holy Taco got much holier after creating the best snack food stadium ever with a field of guacamole, Slim Jim goal posts and a Twinkie-buttressed stadium. Is that our favorite shaggy-haired Steelers safety Troy Polamalu down there? Oh, nope. Just a Vienna sausage in a cheddar helmet."
3. Favorite Cheap Homemade Meal? "What's your favorite cheap homemade meal? Let's say a meal for 2 under $5. Mine would be rice with stewed tomatoes. After that would be potato soup. What would yours be?" [from Talk]
4. Chewing the Fat: Batali and Bourdain on the Poop Chute Anthony Bourdain talks about some of the job hazards of shooting No Reservations, like eating "the last foot of poop chute of a wart hog," served medium-rare and "seven-foot long guinea worms."
5. In Videos: Dog Resists Eating Cupcakes, Looks Insane The title says it all. You really must watch this video if you missed it.
6. Mark Bittman's Savory Oatmeal with Scallions and Soy Sauce Last week on NPR, Mark Bittman recommended savory oatmeal like it ain't no thang. "At lunch, you might have that same bowl of oatmeal, with perhaps um, oh I don't know, scallions and soy sauce on top, which would be very Asian, but still pretty good... Oh, my God, it's great." [from Recipes]
7. The Great Fast-Food Wings Taste Test In preparation for the big game this weekend, we ordered a mess of wings from the biggest chains to track down the best. Braving the threat of orange fingernails, we found the spiciest wings, the slimiest wings, and the least objectionable blue cheese dipping sauce.
8. 'Settlers of Catan' Board Game Inspires Hexagonal-Shaped Foods "After playing Settlers of Catan on a recent Saturday, I can understand why people would feel possessed to make foods inspired by the hexagonal-shaped board and hexagonal-shaped land-resource cards. The site BoardGameGeek introduces us to Pizza of Catan, Gingerbread of Catan, and Cupcakes of Catan."
9. How Do You Handle Uninvited Guests? "I was fixing a lunch of ‘eggs over easy’, and my husband’s friend knocked on the door just after I flipped the eggs. It was time to butter the toast. Do I invite our friend to join us for a meal? Or do we wait and eat later? My grandpa would always say there is room for one more, so I feel guilty if I don’t ask the uninvited guest to eat with us. What would you do?" [from Talk]
10. Super Bowl Snacks: Hot Bacon-Blue Cheese Dip Serious bacon lovers know that if bacon had a team in the NFL, it would most certainly be in the Super Bowl. So if you're having people over for the big game, or even if you're watching with immediate family, or hell, even if you're watching the game by yourself, you know that you want dips and chips and other finger food at your side—like this Hot Bacon–Blue Cheese Dip. [from Recipes]