The effort to nominate food policy figure Michael Pollan never got off the ground, but Pollan and his other American food thinker buds—88 in total including Alice Waters, Rick Bayless, Wendell Berry, Eric Schlosser, Dan Barber, and Marion Nestle—wrote Obama a letter, nominating some potential Secretaries of Agriculture:
1. Gus Schumacher, former Under Secretary of Agriculture for Farm and Foreign Agricultural Services and former Massachusetts Commissioner of Agriculture (website)
2. Chuck Hassebrook, executive director, Center for Rural Affairs, Nebraska (website)
3. Sarah Vogel, former Commissioner of Agriculture for North Dakota and lawyer (Wiki page)
4. Fred Kirschenmann, organic farmer, distinguished fellow at the Leopold Center for Sustainable Agriculture in Iowa, and president of the Stone Barns Center for Food and Agriculture in New York (website)
5. Mark Ritchie, Minnesota Secretary of State, former policy analyst in Minnesota's Department of Agriculture under Governor Rudy Perpich, co-founder of the Institute for Agriculture and Trade Policy (website)
6. Neil Hamilton, Dwight D. Opperman Chair of Law and director of the Agricultural Law Center at Drake University in Iowa (Wiki page)
Do you have a take on the prospects? Do you feel like it affects you?
[via New York Times]
All products linked here have been independently selected by our editors. We may earn a commission on purchases, as described in our affiliate policy.