Serious Eats: Talk
Tofu Vegetable Rolls for Vegetarian
Why is Chinese food having so many kinds & different tastes? Because of its creative cooking skill. We can follow the Chinese recipe & add something new into it to adjust the food taste. You can also having meals in Chinese restaurants near me and then try to make the Chinese food at home.
Today, we share an new creative Chinese recipe, Tofu vegetable rolls, best dish for vegetarian. Which is low calorie with enough vegetable protein & other nutrition. These beautiful and easy Tofu Vegetable Rolls are simple to make and pack a big crunch! This recipe is great to get kids involved with. Have an adult do the cutting and cooking, then pass the chef hat to the kiddos. Both my daughters had a blast assembling these Easy Tofu Vegetable Rolls.
1/4 cup of onions, diced
2-3 cloves of garlic, minced
2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
2 Tablespoons soy sauce and 1 Tablespoon water, combined
1/4 tsp garlic salt
2 large cucumbers
4 large carrots
10-12 oz of tofu, cut into thin slices (should make about 24 thin slices)
1. Start by cutting 24 thin rectangular slices of tofu. Season with garlic salt and set aside.
2. Slice carrots in to thin strips. I found it easiest to do this with a mandolin. Next, cut carrots into rectangles to match the size of the tofu slice.
3. Next, slice the cucumber into long strips with a mandolin.
4. Over a medium/high heat, saute, garlic and onions until onions become translucent.
5. Dip each tofu piece in water/soy sauce mixture before adding to the pan.
6. Saute until both sides of tofu are golden.
7. After tofu is done, place on a couple sheets of paper towel to absorb any extra oil.
8. To assemble the rolls, place tofu and carrots on one end of cucumber strip. Roll up and seal with a toothpick.
That firm texture is key when preparing tofu in this style. I have yet to meet anyone who enjoyed soggy tofu.