What's a better way to start your food adventure than try to make use of the ingredients you already have at home?
My stomach was grumbling really hard, but boredom hit me even harder that I started scouting for a good dish. Yes, that's how I work - unplanned. spontaneous. And just so you know, I work best when I'm frustrated about something (don't even bother ask me about it), hence, I came up with my first entry. My very own, straight from my innovative and creative juices -- Sweet Potato Phyllo Bites.
Apart from my amusement, I've been really wanting to try working with phyllo dough since it's been used numerous times by the famous italian female chef Giada de Laurentiis in her show Everyday Italian. (Cooking shows always fascinate me.)
Total Time: 40 mins Active Time: 1.5 hours Number Serves: 20 - 25 pieces
for the filling:
3 sweet potatoes
3-4 thin slices of turkey breasts (cut into small cubes)
1/2 cup cheddar cheese
2 tbsp sour cream
1 tbsp lemon/lime
for the dip:
3 tbsp sour cream
2 tbsp ranch dressing
1/2 tsp white sugar
a pinch pepper (optional)
other substitutes: extra hot chili sauce, ketchup, or tartar sauce
1. refer to this site on boiling potatoes: http://www.ehow.com/how_2079347_boil-potato.html. What I did with my dish was to boil three whole potatoes for 30 mins on medium heat and add black pepper and garlic salt for additional flavor. Once its done, transfer potatoes into a strainer and let it sit for a 3 mins for a smoother texture when mashed
2. on the side, fry up the cubed turkey breast with butter. I prefer it “semi-fried” but I guess crispy turkey breast can also add a different taste to it (just like crispy bacon, only with less calories)
3. after mashing the potatoes, add all the rest of the ingredients: fried turkey breast, sour cream, lemon/lime, black pepper and garlic salt (Note: I can’t give exact measurements as to the seasonings since taste buds really vary, but for me, less is more).
4. lightly grease a 9 1/2″ x 13″ aluminum sheet pan with butter and layer one phyllo dough on top of it. Brush up the phyllo dough with butter and add another layer. Repeat the entire process with a total of 5 to 7 phyllos
5. shape mashed sweet potatoes into bite-size balls and lay them onto the phyllo dough. When done, lay 5 layers of phyllo dough on top of it by repeating the same process in no. 4.
6. preheat oven to 350, then bake for 40 mins.
7. Cut into bite-size squares.