camping with vegans and very little gear...
Hi everyone. I'm going to a burning man style camp out party with my sister this weekend, and I need some more ideas for food to bring. Here are the difficulties:
1. I'm mostly vegetarian, and my friend (who's providing transport to the event) is vegan.
2. My cooler is tiny. I need nonperishable meals.
3. I'm poor.
4. I will be leaving directly for a WWOOF internship following the event, where there will be an actual kitchen and implements, so I don't want to weigh myself down with cooking gear. I believe I will be bringing my favorite cast iron skillet, a roll of foil, a small supply of charcoal and a pair of tongs.
5. others will be there, but I have no way to predict what they will bring. Reliable power is unlikely.
After reviewing the previous camping threads for ideas, here's what I've come up with:
1. sandwiches- peanut butter and bananna, mushroom and cheese, and shelf stable chik'n packets with... something. Canned artichoke hearts or mushrooms, possibly? And a loaf or three of vegan levain.
2. dry hummus and vegan soup mix.
3. out of hand fruit, melons
4. foil, along with corn, garlic, potatoes, carrots, and onions
5. parm or wax sealed cheeses (baby bells?)
6. tortillas, chips, canned black beans, and jarred salsa
7. onigiri with umeboshi (pickled plum sushi)
8. tasty bite packets
9. precooked polenta tubes
sorry to rehash an old topic, but I think the lack of refrigeration and the desire to feed my vegan friend bring a few twists to the party. Please give me your brilliant ideas!