In response to requests for my MIL's cake recipe, here it is. Enjoy and as far as I'm concerned, share it with anyone you like and modify the flavors, presentation or whatever however it suits your fancy.
Total Time: 1-1/4 hours Active Time: 20 minutes (approx) Number Serves: 16 Equipment: 1 10" bundt pan or 3 8x5" loaf pans
2 sticks unsalted butter
1 12-ounce package milk chocolate chips or 8 milk chocolate candy bars
2 cups sugar
1 cup buttermilk
1/3 teaspoon baking soda
2-1/2 cups flour
1 cup chopped nuts (optional unless you're married to me)
Powdered sugar, cocoa or melted semi-sweet chocolate for presentation (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Butter and flour a 10 inch bundt pan.
2. Melt the butter and chocolate chips together over low heat until smooth. Allow to cool slightly.
3. Mix sugar and eggs together until fluffy. Add cooled butter/chocolate mixture. Beat thoroughly until well combined.
4. Mix flour and baking soda, then add to egg mixture alternately with buttermilk, ending with buttermilk.
5. Add nuts if using and mix lightly. Pour batter into prepared pan.
6. Bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes or until a knife inserted comes out clean.
7. Cool on a wire rack in pan for 15 minutes, then turn out of pan and cool completely.
8. Dust lightly with powdered sugar or cocoa, or drizzle with melted semi-sweet chocolate if desired.