Cooking and Baking

Pretty Pie Crust

I'm making a mushroom tart this weekend, and I already know how to make a delicious, flaky crust. My question is cosmetic. In magazine photographs I've seen pie crusts in which the edges look as if they're twisted. I'd like to know how to do that.

My only guess is making a separate rope out of crust, twisting it, and carefully affixing it to the edge of the pie plate and the rest of the bottom crust. I hesitate to do that because I worry that I will not only screw it up but also the piece's being separate will somehow defeat the sealing purpose of a crust. Maybe I'm completely off base? Does anyone out there have experience in this sort of fancy pie crust?

I already know how to crimp pie crusts with my fingers or a fork or with scissors. What I'm talking about is quite elegant-looking.

Talk is closed, but that doesn't mean the conversations have to stop!

Check out this post for a more thorough explanation, and jump onto our Facebook page or our Twitter feed to keep the conversations going!


Comments are closed