Mystery Kitchen Gadget!

Hey everyone! I was wondering if someone could help me out with identifying this thing I bought at a yard sale. Presumably it is some sort of kitchen gadget because it was sorted with the pots and pans, but the people running the sale confessed to not knowing exactly what it is, either.

I'll try to keep the description as un-confusing as possible, but no guarantees: It is comprised of a metal top and bottom, hinged together, that opens and closes like a book via two relatively long handle. The metal part is actually two molds (shells). The device is not unlike a stovetop waffle iron, except the base is metal and shell shaped as opposed to waffle shaped. Does anyone have any idea what this thing might be?

Serious Eats Newsletters

Keep up with our latest recipes, tips, techniques and where to eat!


Comments can take up to a minute to appear - please be patient!

Previewing your comment: