Healthy no-knead pizza dough - fooled my kids!
My kids can usually sniff out anything whole-grain from a distance of 20 feet, but I fooled them this time, and came away with my best pizza dough to date. Here's how:
* 3 cups water
* 2 1/2 cups oat flour (I made this by putting regular rolled oats into a food processor. It's cheaper than buying oat flour)
* 1 1/2 cups unbleached white whole wheat flour
* 2 cups unbleached all purpose white flour
* 4 tbsp olive oil
* 1 1/2 tsp kosher salt
* 1/2 tsp yeast
1. Put the flour, yeast & salt in a large bowl and mix
2. Pour in the water and oil, mix it up until all mixed. Maybe a minute or two worth of mixing - just enough that you don't have any dry clumps. You'll end up with a very wet & sticky dough. Don't knead!
3. Cover it with saran wrap. Poke a few holes in the saran wrap. Put it somewhere at room temp for 48 hours.
4. Punch it down, dump it out on a floured surface, divide it up. It should make 4 medium sized pizzas, depending on how thin you want them.
The extended fermentation gives a beautiful hole structure, but more importantly increases the antioxidants dramatically, according to a recent study.
At any rate, this was so good that it's going to become my standard dough - even if I don't care about the health factor.
During my trials I also went with a 40% oat, 40% wheat, 20% white version. Tasted good, but no one's mistaking that one for a white crust. Smelled great though - like a nice yeasty beer.