Milkshake terminology

All this talk about shakes reminds me that there are lots of names for them and their near-kin. When I was growing up in rural Missouri, they were malts, and they really did contain malt. No one seemed to order them as a shake, although I saw it on menus and wall signs. So what about cabinets and frappes (and is it "fraps" or "fra-PAYS", please?) and all their related names and contents?

Serious Eats Newsletters

Keep up with our latest recipes, tips, techniques and where to eat!


Comments can take up to a minute to appear - please be patient!

Previewing your comment: