Judging by the comments in our Best Cookbooks of 2010, it looks like some readers are hankering for a list of our favorite Asian Cookbooks from 2010. Given the wide variety of books that fall under the umbrella category of "Asian," there were quite a few contenders. We were most drawn to the cookbooks that offered both excellent instruction and a distinctive voice, inspiring cooks in the kitchen.
'The Year That Was 2010' on Serious Eats
Happy 2011! Let's start off the year by looking at some of our contributors' favorite burgers from 2010. What was your favorite burger of 2010?
Many serious eaters know I'm not much of a drinker, so it shouldn't be much of a surprise that my top seven magnificent sips are of the non-alcoholic variety.
Items on this site tend to roll off the page pretty quickly, sometimes disappearing before you've had the chance to check them out. That's fine with goofy pizza-related news items, but our reviews are another thing — I don't want the pizza-obsessed out there (that would be you) to miss any opportunity to try a killer pizzeria. So I've gone back through the Slice archives for 2010 and have indexed all the reviews in one handy post. Hope you discover something new!
1. Hilariously Wrong Food on Television »
2. Have you ever just been completly insulted preparing a meal? »
3. Which celebrity chef is more "Celebrity" than Chef? »
4. a Trader Joe's Disappointment »
5. Man Vs. Food: Gluttony or just good TV? »
6. Kitchen tools we can't be without »
7. How do you eat for a week for $50? »
8. Alton Brown's diet »
9. Not your mom's meatloaf! »
10. Dear Restaurants: I'm sick of seeing ___ on your menus! »
What's that? You want the Top 20? OK, go »
The last five or so years have been dynamic ones in the world of spirits and cocktails; which makes it kind of surprising (to me, anyway) that 2010 was relatively quiet. Among the trends that do seem genuinely worthwhile, tequila and mezcal continued their climb in prominence, tiki made a big comeback, and perhaps the most interesting development of 2010, is how hospitable and friendly craft bartenders have become. After years of deadpan stares, bartenders seemed to realize that, hey, maybe it's a good idea to be nice to the customer for a change.
Pizza and I had a wonderfully productive year in 2010, so much so that narrowing my list to 8 proved to be a challenge. I'm happy to report that 2010 beats out 2009. I can only dream that 2011 will raise the bar even further.
The initial idea was to round up the 10 most popular posts on A Hamburger Today from 2010. Unsurprisingly, they all ended up being Burger Lab posts, save for one. (Yes, we love Kenji a lot.) So instead, we present you with the 10 most popular Burger Labs posted in 2010, as determined by unique pageviews.
At one point more than a year ago, Slice'r famdoc suggested we do a weekly poll. We really started this feature in earnest in 2010, with a pizza-related question for you each Monday (minus a few weeks we missed).
Some polls were great and revealed more than we thought they would (like the charring one, which was like a group therapy session). And some polls ... well ... all I can say that in coming up with a new topic week after week there are bound to be some stupid ones here and there.*
Gathered here are most of this year's polls, with their current standings. Please note that many of these had 3 or more options, so "winning" percentages may not be 51% or higher.
Also note that if you feel strongly about any of these, the polls are always open, so go vote if you want to sway the outcome.
1. The Best Cupcakes in NYC »
2. 26 NYC Sandwiches We Love »
3. We Ate at Pop-Tarts World in Times Square »
4. Eataly: An Eight-Figure Bet on Authenticity »
5. The Best Falafel Sandwich in New York City »
6. The Best Bread Baskets in New York City »
7. The Best Ramen in New York City »
8. Top 10 Hot Chocolates in New York »
9. Maialino: Do Romans Really Eat This Well at Breakfast? »
10. The Best Restaurants We Reviewed in 2010 »
It's hard to pick a favorite sip from 2010. We savored incredible Grenache and remarkable local sparklers, rare pumpkin ales and rarer barrel-aged brews. It's challenging to choose the highlights. Check out the slideshow for a few beers and wines we're still thinking about.
1. How to Make Peepshi=Peeps Sushi »
2. Cook Your Meat in a Beer Cooler: The World's Best (and Cheapest) Sous-Vide Hack »
3. Peanut Butter Sushi »
4. A Tour of Serious Eats Headquarters »
5. The Food Lab: In Search of the Best Oven-Fried Buffalo Wings »
6. How to Make Goat Cheese »
7. Fresh Ricotta in Five Minutes or Less »
8. The Best Chocolate Chips for Chocolate Chip Cookies »
9. The Physiology of Foie: Why Foie Gras Is Not Unethical »
10. Cakespy: Homemade Thin Mints »
Over the past few weeks, food blogs have been doling out predictions of what trends were big this year, and what will be hitting our plates come 2011. Well, none of these trends could enter the zeitgeist without some solid agricultural production in the new year. So that's what I'm here to share: a drier, but arguably more important, look at upcoming food and agriculture trends.
1. Bringing Neapolitan Pizza Home (aka 'The Skillet-Broiler Method') »
2. John Riepenhoff's Recursive Pizza »
3. Sourdough Starter-Along: Day Zero »
4. How to Make Grilled Pizza »
5. Pizza Hut's Big Italy Pizza »
6. The Best Way to Reheat Pizza »
7. Broiled No-Knead Pizza (No-Knead Pizza 102) »
8. 9 Wild Pizza Tattoos »
9. Donatella Arpaia's Pizza Oven »
10. 8 Pizzas That Haunt My Dreams, 2010 »
A picture is worth a thousand words. Or calories. And that's why we've got loads of them. (Photos, not calories. ...Okay, calories too.) Here are ten of our favorite food porn-y photos from 2010.
With multiple recipes going up on the site everyday, we've created a big pool to pick from, no matter what you're craving. But these were the ten that blew us away. They taught us a special technique or to use a certain ingredient in a new way. They helped us woo future boyfriends or girlfriends. They are the recipes we're still thinking about.
I think this is going to be an annual thing now (see 8PTHMD 2009). I ate a lot of pizza in 2010, but these eight pies from around the country* continue to haunt my dreams. Like last year, I'm not declaring these "the best," per se, just eight pizzas I keep thinking about and wanting more of.
Of all the trucks, Airstream trailers, and carts I ate from this year in the name of finding the country's best street food, here are the five that still stick with me. The ones I can still practically taste. The ones that made me wonder, sheesh, you squeezed a kitchen into that mobile contraption of yours and made food that tastes this good?
I've been lucky enough to review some seriously great books in 2010. Here are five food-related reads that will educate, exhilarate, and entice—perfect for the bookworm foodie on your list.
There comes a watershed phase in the life of every trend in which the concept begins to wrest control from the flavor, and that's the stage at which we'd like it to stop, please. Case in point: some Korean tacos we had in the office this week.