Salty and sweet, these delectable bars marry an apple pie filling with a salty caramel coating. Sitting pretty atop a buttery crust made of Crescent Rolls, these are an addictive fall treat.
Makes 9 bars Active time: 20 minutes Total Time: 1 hour
- 1 tube Pillsbury® Original Crescent Rolls
- 2 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, and cut into ¼ inch thick pieces
- ¼ cup dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon coarse sea salt (to taste)
- 3 ounces caramel candies (about 10 individual caramel candies)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Generously grease an 8x8-inch baking pan on the bottom and sides. Set to the side for the moment.
- In a large bowl, combine the apple slices with the brown sugar, cornstarch, and cinnamon. Toss until combined. Set to the side for the moment.
- Unwrap the caramel candies. Cut each caramel candy into at least two pieces. This is sticky business but it will help the caramel distribute evenly. For best results, use kitchen shears or a sharp knife, and clean off if it begins to get sticky. Set the cut candies to the side for the moment.
- Unroll the Pillsbury® Crescent Rolls dough, so that it is one large rectangle with perforations. Lightly press the perforations to incorporate them into the dough, so that it is seamless.
- Now, with the wide side of the dough facing you, fold the dough in half, like turning the page of a book. Now it is a thick square of dough. Transfer it to the greased pan, and press lightly to make it "fit" in the pan, pressing lightly up the sides so that there is about a half-inch ledge.
- Gently spoon the apple mixture on top of the crust. Dot the top all over with the caramel candy pieces. Sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon of the coarse sea salt.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until the crust is golden and the inside is set and bubbling. Remove from the oven and run a sharp knife along the perimeter of the pan, to loosen the sides of the crust.
- While still hot, sprinkle with 1/4 to 3/4 teaspoon coarse sea salt, to taste. Let cool for at least 20 minutes before slicing into bars and serving.