Pizza and pretzels come together in what might be the ultimate snack. Pizza dough is coiled into a pretzel form, brushed with olive oil, then baked with tomato sauce and mozzarella for a whimsical appetizer, or a very satisfying snack.
Makes 8 Pretzels
Active time: 10 minutes
Total time: 30 minutes
For the pretzels
- 1 tube Pillsbury Original Pizza Dough
For the topping
- 8 teaspoons olive oil
- 16 teaspoons tomato sauce
- 16 tablespoons shredded mozzarella
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Open and unroll the pizza dough. Align it so that the wide side is facing you.
- Slice the dough the long way, into eight long strips. Now, it's time to roll shape some pretzels. Take the first strip of dough, and gently roll it so that instead of a strip, it comes to form a long, thin tube.
- Shape the dough into a large horseshoe, with the ends facing you. Now, gather the two ends and lightly overlap them, leaving 2 inches of "tail" after the overlapped part. Coil the dough one or two times. Now, flip the ends so that they overlap the top of the round part. You'll see the pretzel shape magically come together. Make any minor adjustments you need so that the pretzels are shaped just how you'd like. Keep in mind that the dough will rise a bit, so if your pretzel looks thin, it's OK. It will puff up during baking.
- Place the pretzels on your prepared baking sheets. Brush each pretzel with olive oil.
- Bake for 8 minutes, and then remove the pretzels from the oven. Do not turn off the oven.Now, spoon two teaspoons of tomato sauce on each pretzel (more or less, if you prefer) and sprinkle two tablespoons of mozzarella on each pretzel.
- Return the pretzels to the oven and bake 6 to 10 more minutes, or until the cheese is melted and bubbling. Remove from oven and let cool on the sheets for five minutes. Serve warm.