If you are what you eat, then be rich and sweet! This delicious three layer bar, composed of a rich cookie crust, a caramel midsection and a wonderful chocolate topping, certainly fits the bill.
Makes about 36 small bars Active time: 25 minutes Total time: 1 hour, 50 minutes
For the crust
- 1 tube Pillsbury® Refrigerated Sugar Cookie Dough
For the middle layer
- 12 ounces milk caramel candies (about 2 6-ounce bags, or 40 individual candies)
For the topping
- 2 ounces semisweet chocolate
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Generously spray a 9x9-inch pan with nonstick spray.
- Press the sugar cookie dough in an even layer into the pan. Pressing with a piece of parchment paper will ensure that you really press it in firmly. Prick lightly all over with the tines of a fork.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes, or until lightly golden on top. Remove from the oven. The sides may have slightly puffed up--that is OK. While still warm, gently press the cookie layer so that it is as flat and even as possible. You can do this with a small spatula.
- Unwrap the caramels. In a medium saucepan over low heat, or in the top of a double boiler, melt the caramels until smooth. They will be like a very thick, viscous liquid. Gently pour over the still slightly warm baked cookie layer. Pour evenly to ensure that the caramel is evenly distributed. Using a rubber spatula, gently spread the caramel to evenly coat the cookie layer, taking care not to break up the delicate crumbs of the still-fragile cookie layer. Place the pan in the refrigerator to help the caramel firm up before the next step.
- In a saucepan over low heat, warm the chocolate and butter. Once melted and thick but pourable, pour over the caramel layer and gently spread to cover in a thin, even layer. While the chocolate is still warm, use a sharp knife to "score" where you will cut the bars later (this makes serving a snap later).
- Let set for at least one hour before cutting into bars and serving.