Crescent rolls are dressed up with a Middle Eastern flair in this easy-to-prepare baklava. A sweet honey and walnut mixture is a match made in heaven for the flaky, buttery dough.
Makes 16 servings
Active time: 10 minutes Total time: 1 hour
- 1 tube Pillsbury® Original Crescent Rolls
- 2 cups chopped walnuts
- 6 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 tablespoons cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Generously grease an 8x8-inch pan.
- Unroll the crescent rolls dough to form one large perforated rectangle. Break the rectangle in half, so that you have two mostly square perforated pieces. Gently work the perforations on each square into the dough, using your fingers.
- Place one of the squares in the prepared pan, and gently stretch it to fit perfectly.
- In a large bowl, combine the chopped walnuts, 5 tablespoons of butter, sugar, cinnamon, honey, and vanilla extract. It will be a rather thick mixture, but using a wooden spoon it will all come together.
- Spoon the wet mixture on top of the crescent roll dough in the pan. Try to smooth it into an even layer.
- Gently transfer the second sheet of dough on top. Brush with the remaining butter.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until golden. Remove from the oven, and let cool for at least 20 minutes before serving.