Forget visions of sugar plums. Once you've tasted these bars, composted of a sugar cookie crust topped with a dreamy, creamy butter-mint cream, you'll be absolutely dazzled.
Makes 36 bite-sized bars Active time: 10 minutes Total time: 1 hour
For the crust
- 1 tube Pillsbury® Refrigerated Sugar Cookie Dough
For the topping
- 1 1/2 sticks butter
- 2 tablespoons cream
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 teaspoons peppermint extract
- 2-3 drops green food coloring (optional)
- 2 candy canes, crushed
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Generously spray a 9x9-inch pan with nonstick spray.
- Press the sugar cookie dough in an even layer into the pan. Pressing with a piece of parchment paper will ensure that you really press it in firmly. Prick lightly all over with the tines of a fork.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes, or until lightly golden on top. Remove from the oven. The sides may have slightly puffed up--that is OK. While still warm, gently press the cookie layer so that it is as flat and even as possible. You can do this with a small spatula.
- Make the topping. Cream the butter until light and fluffy. Add the cream and 2 cups of the confectioners' sugar, and mix until combined. Add the remaining confectioners' sugar and peppermint extract and food coloring (if using). Mix until creamy and combined, and of a spreading consistency.
- Spread over the cookie layer in a smooth, even layer. Sprinkle the crushed candy canes on top of the buttercream layer directly after it's been spread (this will help them stick).
- Put in the refrigerator for 15 minutes before cutting into bars and serving (to help the topping become firm enough to slice easily).