A classic egg, cheese, and ham filling for crepes.
Why It Works
- Wrapping eggs and cheese in a crepe delivers melted cheese and a runny, golden yolk.
- Yield:Makes 4 crepes, serving 2
- Active time: 20 minutes
- Total time:20 minutes
- 1 tablespoon (15g) unsalted butter, divided
- 4 large eggs
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 cooked Basic Crepes
- 4 ounces (113g) grated Gruyère or other good melting cheese, divided
- 4 slices ham (optional), divided
- Minced fresh chives, for garnish
Melt 1 teaspoon (5g) butter in a 10-inch nonstick or well-seasoned cast iron or carbon steel skillet over medium heat. Add eggs and cook until whites are set but yolks are still runny. Season to taste with salt and pepper and transfer to a plate.
Melt 1/2 teaspoon (3g) butter in same skillet and add a crepe. Spread 1 ounce (28g) grated cheese in center of crepe, top with ham (if using), then set a fried egg on top. Fold sides of crepe in to cover egg, leaving egg yolk exposed. Cook, swirling, until crisped on bottom, then transfer to a warmed plate. Repeat with remaining crepes, cheese, ham, and eggs. Garnish with chives and serve.