This flavor combination may not appeal to those who don't love the minty-bitter flavor of Fernet Branca, but for those who do, this riff on a classic Irish coffee is sure to blow their socks off. Here, fernet's strong medicinal kick is boosted with a wonderfully perky lemon whipped cream. The result is a potent brew with loud, bright flavors that will send a jolt through your brain and your digestive tract, far more effectively than either caffeine or fernet could ever do alone.
Why It Works
- Swapping out the booze in a traditional Irish coffee opens up a world of flavor combinations.
- Yield:Makes 1 drink
- Active time: 5 minutes
- Total time:5 minutes
- 6 ounces (175ml) hot black coffee
- 2 ounces (60ml) Fernet Branca
- 1 tablespoon (15ml) 2:1 simple syrup (see note)
- 1 recipe Lemon Chantilly
- Freshly grated zest of 1 lemon (optional)
Combine hot coffee, fernet, and simple syrup in a prewarmed mug. (You can prewarm it by pouring hot water into it, letting it stand for 1 minute, then draining.) Using a spoon, dollop chantilly on top of coffee and top with lemon zest, if using. Serve right away. (Note that you may have more whipped cream than the mug can accommodate; feel free to add more as you drink, or use some for the next round.)