This simple, butterscotch-y whipped cream is the ultimate companion to Sweet Potato Pie, but it's just as lovely spooned over brownies or swirled into your morning coffee. In this instance, vanilla bean is truly worth the splurge, as it keeps the chantilly's water to a bare minimum, allowing it to stay fluffy for days in the fridge (a handy make-ahead feature around the holidays).
Why It WorksClassic butterscotch flavor. Read the Whole Story
- The mild molasses notes of light brown sugar add complexity of flavor.
- Using vanilla bean, rather than extract, makes for a more stable whipped cream.
- A generous pinch of salt brings out the buttery notes of cream.
- The relatively high proportion of sugar adds stability, keeping the whipped cream fluffy for days.
- 6 ounces heavy cream (3/4 cup; 170g)
- 2 ounces light brown sugar (1/4 cup; 60g)
- 1/8 teaspoon Diamond Crystal kosher salt; use half as much if iodized
- 1 vanilla bean, split and seeds scraped (pod reserved for another use; see note above)
In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, combine cream, brown sugar, salt, and vanilla seeds. Whip on medium-high speed until fluffy and thick, about 5 minutes. Use immediately or refrigerate for up to 1 week in an airtight container.