The perfect blueberry muffin is quick and easy to whip up on a Sunday morning, and beautiful to behold: domed and delicately crisp on top, with or without a crust of sparkling sugar. Most of all, it's loaded with the best summer berries—which should never, ever sink to the bottom.
Why It WorksStart your morning right. Read the Whole Story
- Blending butter and flour minimizes gluten development, for ultra-tender muffins.
- A small portion of fragrant, lemony coriander makes the blueberry flavor seem more intense.
- A spoonful of plain dough at the bottom of each cup prevents the berries from sinking.
- 12 ounces all-purpose flour (2 1/3 cups; 340g)
- 5 1/4 ounces sugar (3/4 cup; 145g)
- 2 teaspoons (8g) baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon (3g) Diamond Crystal kosher salt; for table salt, use half as much by volume or use the same weight
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander seed
- 1/8 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 6 ounces unsalted butter (1 1/2 sticks; 170g), cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 4 ounces milk, any percentage (1/2 cup; 115g)
- 2 large eggs, cold
- 2 teaspoons (9ml) vanilla extract (optional)
- 12 ounces fresh blueberries (2 cups; 340g)
- 2 ounces sparkling sugar (1/3 cup; 55g) (optional)
Adjust oven rack to middle position and preheat to 350°F. Prepare a nonstick or aluminum muffin pan by greasing lightly or lining with tinfoil or paper liners. Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, baking soda, coriander, nutmeg, and butter in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment. Mix at low speed to form a mealy powder, about 2 minutes. Add milk, eggs, and vanilla (if using), mixing briefly to form a thick batter.
Drop a heaping tablespoonful (about 1 ounce, or 28g if you want to be mathematically precise) of plain dough into the bottom of each muffin cup. Fold blueberries into remaining dough, which will be extremely stiff. Divide evenly between each cup. If you like, top each muffin with sparkling sugar, about 1 teaspoon each or to taste. Bake until muffins are puffed and firm, about 25 minutes. Enjoy immediately and store leftovers in an airtight container for up to 1 day.