This drink, slightly adapted from Cala in San Francisco, is really a hybrid of a martini and a mezcal margarita, made savory, rich, and somewhat salty with the addition of Castelvetrano olive brine. The cocktail is bright, briny, and refreshing, with a delicate touch of smoke.
- Yield:Makes 2 cocktails
- Active time: 5 minutes
- Total time:5 minutes
- 4 Castelvetrano olives, for garnish
- 4 ounces (120ml) mezcal
- 1 ounce (30ml) Mandarine Napoléon (see note above)
- 1 ounce (30ml) fresh juice from 1 lime
- 1 1/2 ounces (45ml) Castelvetrano olive brine (Divina brand preferred; see note above)
- 4 dashes Bar Keep Fennel Bitters (see note above)
Chill 2 martini glasses. Thread 2 cocktail picks with 2 olives each.
Add mezcal, Mandarine Napoléon, lime juice, olive brine, and bitters to a cocktail shaker and fill 2/3 full with ice. Shake until well chilled, about 15 seconds. Strain into chilled glasses, garnishing each with a cocktail pick. Serve immediately.