This open-faced sandwich pairs avocado with Italian flavors like creamy ricotta, extra-virgin olive oil, bright lemon zest, and fragrant basil. A squeeze of lemon juice cuts through the avocado and keeps the whole thing tasting light and summery, no cooking required.
- Yield:Serves 1
- Active time: 5 minutes
- Total time:5 minutes
- 1 slice country or sourdough bread, approximately 1/2 inch thick
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 medium pitted and peeled Hass avocado
- Freshly squeezed lemon juice to taste, from 1/2 lemon
- 4 to 5 tablespoons high-quality ricotta (see note above)
- Thinly sliced basil leaves, for garnish
- Lemon zest, for garnish
- Flaky sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
Lightly brush bread with extra-virgin olive oil and toast to desired level of doneness. Top with avocado and mash with a fork to cover entire surface. Squeeze lemon juice over bread and add ricotta in dollops across the surface. Drizzle with more extra-virgin olive oil and sprinkle with basil, lemon zest, sea salt, and pepper. Serve.