This robust salad pulls together a handful of hearty, delicious ingredients: tender roasted potatoes, sweet caramelized shallots, tart marinated shiitake mushrooms, and hefty kale leaves.
Why It WorksA hearty, rustic, filling salad. Read the Whole Story
- Parboiling the potatoes before roasting leads to tenderer flesh.
- Roasting the onions at a low oven temperature gives the sugars ample time to caramelize, for maximum sweetness.
- Whisking olive oil into the vinaigrette after using the blender prevents bitter flavors from developing.
- 1 1/2 pounds (680g) small fingerling potatoes
- Kosher salt
- 2 medium cloves garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh thyme leaves, plus 3 thyme sprigs, divided
- 1 cup (240ml) extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 12 ounces shallots (about 10 shallots; 340g), peeled and trimmed (if shallots are large, cut them in half)
- 1 scallion, white and light green parts only, roughly chopped
- 1 small handful flat-leaf parsley leaves, roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon (5ml) Dijon mustard
- 5 tablespoons (75ml) white wine vinegar, divided
- 1/8 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 12 ounces (340g) shiitake mushrooms, stemmed
- 3 ounces (85g) baby Russian kale leaves, woody stems trimmed and large leaves torn
Preheat oven to 325°F. In a large saucepan, cover potatoes with cold water and season heavily with salt until water is saltier than the sea. Add garlic and thyme sprigs and set over medium-high heat. Bring to a bare simmer and cook, adjusting heat to maintain bare simmer, until potatoes are tender, about 25 minutes.
Meanwhile, in a large ovenproof skillet, heat 2 tablespoons (30ml) oil over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add shallots and cook, tossing, until lightly browned, about 4 minutes. Season with salt. Transfer to oven and cook, tossing occasionally, until shallots are very tender, about 25 minutes.
In a tall, narrow container, combine scallion, parsley, mustard, 3 tablespoons (45ml) white wine vinegar, and smoked paprika, along with a generous pinch of salt. Using an immersion blender, blend until fully puréed and smooth. Transfer to a mixing bowl and whisk in 1/2 cup (120ml) olive oil. Season with salt and pepper.
In a clean large skillet, heat 4 tablespoons (60ml) oil over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add mushrooms and cook, stirring and tossing, until tender and just starting to brown, about 5 minutes; stir in minced thyme leaves during last 1 minute of cooking. Transfer mushrooms to a small heatproof bowl. Season with salt. Add remaining 2 tablespoons (30ml) vinegar to mushrooms, along with enough of the scallion vinaigrette to thoroughly coat, tossing well. Set aside.
Increase oven to 500°F. Drain potatoes and discard garlic and thyme, shaking to remove any excess liquid. Transfer to a foil-lined rimmed baking sheet and toss with remaining 2 tablespoons (30ml) oil. Roast potatoes, shaking baking sheet once or twice during cooking, until starting to crisp and brown, about 15 minutes. Let cool until warm.
In a large bowl, combine roasted shallots, marinated mushrooms and any of their juices, roasted potatoes, and kale. Add more vinaigrette as needed to lightly coat, tossing well. Season with salt and pepper as needed. Serve.