Why It Works
- Starting the pasta in cold water works just as well as adding it to already-boiling water, plus it cooks faster and uses less energy.
- A combination of several thickeners and emulsifying agents—cornstarch, evaporated milk, eggs, and American cheese—ensures an extra-gooey texture with real cheese flavor.
- Replacing some of the butter from the original recipe with bacon fat gives the entire dish a smoky, bacon-y flavor.
- Yield:Serves 4 to 6
- Active time: 25 minutes
- Total time:25 minutes
- 8 ounces diced bacon
- 1 to 2 red or green jalapeño peppers, seeds and ribs removed, finely minced
- 1/4 cup sliced pickled jalapeño peppers, minced
- 1 pound elbow macaroni
- Kosher salt
- 1 (12-ounce) can evaporated milk
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon Frank’s RedHot or other hot sauce
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1 pound extra-sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 8 ounces American cheese, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into 2 chunks
Cook bacon in a medium skillet over medium heat, stirring, until completely crisp, about 8 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in fresh and pickled jalapeños, scraping up browned bits from bottom of pan. Set aside. Remove some of mixture to a separate small bowl and reserve for garnish.
Place macaroni in a large saucepan and cover it with salted water by 2 inches. Bring to a boil over high heat, stirring occasionally to keep pasta from sticking. Cover pan, remove from heat, and let stand until pasta is barely al dente, about 8 minutes.
Meanwhile, whisk together evaporated milk, eggs, hot sauce, and mustard in a bowl until homogeneous. Toss cheeses with cornstarch in a large bowl until thoroughly combined.
When pasta is cooked, drain it and return it to saucepan. Place over low heat, add butter, and stir until melted. Add bacon/jalapeño mixture (including bacon fat), milk mixture, and cheese mixture and cook, stirring constantly, until cheese is completely melted and mixture is hot and creamy. Season to taste with salt and more hot sauce. Serve immediately, topped with reserved bacon/jalapeño mixture.