It's tough to improve on a classic Caprese salad of ripe summer tomatoes, fresh mozzarella cheese, basil, and olive oil, but it's pretty darn easy to make a nice lateral transition to something that's not quite as classic yet equally tasty. Here, I've combined those same tomatoes with sweet apricots, briny feta cheese, and mint for a take that's just as refreshing, but with a completely different personality.
Why It Works
- Ripe, juicy tomatoes and sweet apricots reinforce each other's flavors and contrast well with briny feta cheese.
- Yield:Serves 4
- Active time: 5 minutes
- Total time:5 minutes
- 1 pound ripe tomatoes (a mix of several varieties), cut into bite-size chunks
- 2 to 3 apricots, pitted and sliced
- Small handful torn fresh mint leaves
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Extra-virgin olive oil, for drizzling
- 6 ounces feta cheese, broken into rough chunks
Combine tomatoes, apricots, and half of mint in a large bowl and season with salt and pepper. Drizzle with olive oil and toss very gently to coat. Arrange on a serving platter. Add chunks of feta cheese. Sprinkle with remaining mint. Drizzle with more olive oil. Serve.