There's really nothing to it: Get the absolute best-quality tomatoes, olive oil, basil, and mozzarella you can find, put them on a plate, sprinkle with salt and pepper, drizzle with olive oil, and serve. The hardest part is resisting the temptation to add anything else, but stay strong and step away from the balsamic vinegar.
Why It WorksDon't even think about adding anything to this salad. Read the Whole Story
- High-quality ingredients in perfect balance showcase their simplicity.
- Crunchy sea salt adds both texture and flavor.
- 1 1/2 pounds best-quality ripe tomatoes, mixed sizes, at room temperature
- 8 to 12 ounces best-quality fresh mozzarella cheese, torn into bite-sized chunks
- Best-quality extra-virgin olive oil
- Coarse sea salt, such as Maldon or fleur de sel
- Coarsely ground fresh black pepper
- 6 to 8 fresh basil leaves
Cut tomatoes into an assortment of slices and chunks and spread over a large plate in a single, slightly overlapping layer. Tuck chunks of mozzarella into the tomato pieces. Drizzle generously with extra-virgin olive oil. Sprinkle with coarse sea salt and black pepper. Tear basil leaves into small pieces with your fingertips and spread them on top. Serve immediately.