It's easy to look past carrots when the farmers market is overflowing with tomatoes and corn, but don't: They're in season this time of year too, and are deserving of a spot on the summertime table. Here, beautiful sweet carrots are lightly cooked, then tossed in a flavorful dressing that's rich with ginger, cilantro, lemon, and just a touch of tahini.
- Yield:Serves 2 to 4 as a side
- Active time: 15 minutes
- Total time:15 minutes
- 1 pound carrots, trimmed, scrubbed, and sliced lengthwise into 1/2-inch-thick spears (see note above)
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh juice from 1 lemon plus finely grated zest of 1/2 lemon
- 1 teaspoon grated peeled fresh ginger
- 2 teaspoons minced cilantro leaves and tender stems
- 2 teaspoons tahini
- Kosher salt
Bring a pot of salted water to a boil and fill a large bowl with ice water. Add carrots and cook until tender-crisp, about 3 minutes. Immediately transfer to ice water bath to chill.
In a medium bowl, whisk together olive oil, lemon juice and zest, ginger, cilantro, and tahini. Season with salt.
Drain carrots, add to bowl with dressing and toss to coat. Serve.