For this easy barbecue sauce, a ketchup base is spiked with a half cup of strong coffee, freshly grated ginger, a little dark chocolate, and molasses. Just a hint of smoked paprika builds an extra layer of aromatic mystery. It would be great on all sorts of things, but works particularly well with smoky pork shoulder and beef brisket.
- Yield:Makes about 2 cups
- Active time: 20 minutes
- Total time:20 minutes
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup strong coffee or espresso (see note above)
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 1 (2-inch) knob peeled fresh ginger, grated on a microplane
- 1/2 ounce dark (70%) chocolate
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
In a medium saucepan, combine ketchup, coffee, Worcestershire sauce, molasses, and ginger and bring to a low simmer, stirring occasionally, over medium heat. Stir in chocolate and smoked paprika until chocolate is melted, then let simmer over very low heat, stirring occasionally, until flavors have mellowed and melded, 5-10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.