If your plans for the day involve swinging in a hammock or enjoying an outdoor brunch with friends, make a pitcher of this cocktail featuring mint, ginger, citrus, and black tea. If you're going the punch bowl route, consider freezing a large block of ice in a tupperware container the night before you plan to serve.
- Yield:Makes 10-14 servings
- Active time: 10 minutes
- Total time:10 minutes plus time for ice to freeze
- For the Fresh Ginger Syrup:
- 1 cup chopped peeled fresh ginger root
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup boiling water
- For the Earl Grey Tea:
- 4 cups boiling water
- 4 Earl Grey tea bags
- For the Cocktails:
- 3 cups vodka (see note above)
- 1 1/2 cups fresh juice from 10-12 lemons
- 1 1/2 cups Fresh Ginger Syrup
- 4 cups chilled Earl Grey Tea
- 1 cup fresh mint leaves
- 8 lemon wheels
- Large block ice or ice cubes
For the Fresh Ginger Syrup: Add chopped ginger, sugar, and hot water to a blender. Blend until uniform. Strain with a fine-mesh strainer or through cheesecloth. Use immediately or refrigerate, sealed, up to 1 week.
For the Earl Grey Tea: Add tea bags to boiling water and steep 2 minutes. Remove tea bags, cover, and chill. Use once chilled, or refrigerate, sealed, up to one week.
For the Cocktails: Combine vodka, lemon juice, fresh ginger syrup, and tea in a large pitcher or punch bowl. Add ice block (or ice cubes to fill), mint leaves, and lemon wheels. Stir to combine, let steep 2 minutes, and serve.